But the fact is, most of us do get some mammy characteristics when we enter adulthood. Alot of times, it sneaks up on us until one day it hits you like a lightening bolt.
For me, it occurred 6 months ago on a rainy day in Dublin. I had just moved into my boyfriend's apartment and gotten a severe home decor bug. Turning a former batchelor pad into a home was the ultimate challenge but with feck all budget as I walked down O'Connell Street, a flashback occurred.
Childhood meant lots of fun things but for me it also included a fair few hospital appointments in the Big Shmoke. Oftentimes, checkups would occur before Christmas meaning an opportunity for a day trip to Dublin for me, my big sister and my mam. Once the hospital visit was over, it was into town to do some shopping. This ALWAYS included a trip to good auld Guineys on Talbot Street.
![]() |
| via Yelp |
So 6 months ago, as I was in full blown nesting mode, Grown up Lucy found herself at the door of Guineys. I honestly didn't realise what a significance this was as it had been pure instinct that I ended up there that day.
'Looking for a homeware sensible bargain? Guineys!' - the mecca for an Irish Mammy and that day I finally seen why. When I was a kid, it was boring and annoying following my mam around this crammed shop but now all I could see was bargains and great value! Was I actually turning into my mammy?!
Let's look at the evidence:
![]() |
| via thejournal.ie |
- I get now more excited house shopping than clothes shopping. As a self confessed shopaholic this is a serious thing and something I never thought possible! But I genuinely get more excited in a homewares department of a shop nowadays!
- I appreciate when there's good drying out. As a bit of a tidy freak and with no clothes dryer in my apartment, good drying out has become deeply appreciated. The traditional 'look out for rain' is also observed by way of a weather app!
- Early nights are the ultimate treat. Turns out being a grown up everyday is bloody knackering! The days of all nighters are a distant memory - I'm in a committed happy relationship now. With my bed.I love it and it makes me feel amazing and if our love is wrong; I don't want to be right!!
![]() |
| via eonline |
- 'When I was that age...' Much like a Mammy, I now think this regularly when I look at teenagers especially when it comes to fashion. Yep the gal whose wardrobe was mainly skimpy Bodycon dresses and skirts a few years ago has grown up! Now, all I can think is 'Is she not cold?!' when I see Kylie Jenner lookalikes on nights out (and during the day!) Speaking of Kylie - all I can feel is sorry for her with the type of people around her as an example (see? Total mammy concerns!)
![]() |
| via google images |
- No seat No way! - I don't wear high heels (Read why here!) but even wearing flats on a night out doesn't mean I don't require a seat in the pub. Yes I'm totally lazy. And auld. But after 12 years of standing in crowded pubs, I've put my foot down (and my arse!) No seaty, No drinky!
The idea of 'turning into your mammy' has always been seen as a big insult. But while there are some definite mammy-specific traits that can be passed down, ultimately it's just growing up! Life goes by crazy fast and there are different phases all the way through. Just like as a teenager you might have cringed when you remembered playing Barbies (or pretend Babysitters Club!), envitibly you'll cringe a little about you life now sometime in the future. It's all part of growing up and you shouldn't have to apologise for it.
I know I won't.
Forever in the Sky,
Lucy x




No comments:
Post a Comment