George Clooney's new movie is being released nationwide.
Oh and the most controversial Irish referendum of the 21st century will take place.
Tomorrow marks the end of months of heated campaigning by both sides over a legal change to the definition of marriage. This step has been taken by other countries worldwide but lil' old Ireland gets to be the first country to make the implementation based on public vote - a pretty cool prospect in my opinion.
I've voted in referendums for the past decade, never really paying much attention to what I was voting for and oftentimes going through the motions in order to appease my mam and dad and look like a functioning adult. Because proper adults vote, don't they?
When I first became aware of the topic of this referendum, for the first time ever, I was genuinely interested. Maybe because its a topic that is seen as relevant for modern Ireland. But after a while thinking about it, I realised while I knew it was important socially, I also felt it personally.
Now, I should probably say: I'm not gay or bisexual. But in the past two years, I became an auntie to two gorgeous little nephews. These two little dudes have the ability to make my heart melt and truthfully I would do pretty much anything for the two of them. This feeling came as quite a shock as growing up, I was never particularly maternal or gushy around babies so when my sister had her two little boys I wasn't really prepared for the fact I would fall head over heels for the two of them.
For the first time ever, I approached this referendum with what it would mean for the future of our wee country and my two little nephews growing up in it. I'm in a relationship at the moment and while marriage is far from my thoughts - in the future if my boyfriend and I wanted to get married it would be a very easy thing to do (if we rob a bank!)
So my mind wandered to my nephews. Now, at the tender ages of 1 week and 2 years old respectively - their future is full of possibilities. I want the world for them both and I hope whatever happens, they're happy and healthy. And that they could marry whoever they fall in love with, regardless of gender.
Because this referendum isn't about adoption and surrogacy, a popular argument of the No side which even the impartial referendum commission has confirmed will not be affected AT ALL.
What tomorrow is about is one thing only.
Equality - plain and simple.
So let's make history.
Forever in the Sky
Lucy x

No comments:
Post a Comment