In the sky...

In the sky...

Monday, 25 May 2015

Lucy's 90's style guide

Growing up in Ireland is special. Lots of people attest to the idea that there's no place in the world quite like Ireland. In no other place would a bale of hay bring such delight and a wooden kitchen implement bring such fear when you were growing up. For me, my late 90's adolescence consisted of three main things:

The fragrance
There were two fragrances that were the epitome of chic and sophistication when I was growing up. No junior disco or trip to the cinema was complete without covering yourself head to toe in a mist of 'So...?' or 'Ex'cla-ma'tion!' and if you were a simpler kind of gal, half a can of 'Impulse' body spray usually did the trick.
(On a side note: I regularly raided my big sister's stash of these causing rows between us on an almost daily basis - so I take this opportunity to let her know that I plan to begin stockpiling Ex'cla-ma'tion for her by way of apology - ya know, because I think a 31 year old can never have enough of the stuff...!)

The Hair

The character of Rachel Green in 'Friends' has an awful lot to answer for here. The cut was desired by all but few could find a hairdresser who was high enough to snip it properly (Jen Aniston revealed her hairdresser at the time was stoned when he created 'The Rachel' read here)


But at least you could get her highlights, right?! I thought so too.



Cue to bottles of 'Sun In' being bulk bought or raiding your mam's presses for some lemons and lying in the sun with smelly hair. The result of this was generally a dry frizzly orange look that looked...erm...unique!


The Clothes
 

My adolescence saw many MANY fashion crimes but denim was my downfall. Every girl in my town had at least one pair of 'Nope' or 'Susst' flared jeans (and O'Neills tracksuit bottoms) - all ripped and trodden at the hems as the motto back then was: 'The baggier, the better!'

(Special shout out goes here to my best friend Aine - whose purchase of a floor length denim jacket inspired me to buy one too & look amazing throughout the summer of 1999)

That's the basics covered! What were your fashion tips growing up?
I'd love to hear them (we could all be mortified together!)

Forever in the Sky

Lucy x



1 comment:

  1. Very true Lucy!! Bringing back so many memories xx G

    ReplyDelete