Addictions are no laughing matter. Revolving and adapting your life around something is, oftentimes, not a very wise move but everybody has them. Those little things in life that can bring us relief and happiness in even the most chaotic of times. I, myself, am no stranger to these impulses and the crippling desire of addiction. While I have many of them, one addiction has the power to weaken me like no other. Liquid happiness. The nectar of the Gods. Heaven in a cup. Call it what you will, the fact of the matter remains:
Hi, I'm Lucy and I have a (tea) drinking problem.
Seriously I love bloody the stuff and drink at least 5 cups a day!
Now I'm sure that this little addiction can be put down to many things, but the fact I've been raised in Ireland is probably the number one factor causing my chronic tea habit.
Tea is an inherent part of our culture and all that defines being Irish. Countless surveys, regarding our love of all things tea, have told us what we have long known already-few can beat our little country for the love we have for a nice cuppa.
Visitors to our fair isle are often amused how we treat this hot beverage. In times of happiness, sadness, stress or relaxation, there is no situation that can't be made easier than with a nice cup of tea. Personally, I can't recall how my own addiction began but suffice to say it happened at an early age.
In any social situation, I remember tea was always an integral factor, offered to the house visitor upon their arrival. If politely declined it was usually followed by some variation of attempted persuasion. The character of Mrs. Doyle wasn't created by accident, instead epitomising every Irish mammy when faced with visitors.
More often than not those who refused the offer of a cup of tea were met with slight suspicion.
'I mean, sure who in there right mind doesn't like tea?!!' would be whispered in the kitchen and, if nothing was said, you can be sure it was being thought.
In our fair land, the fact remains: it's never really considered a question of 'if you'd like tea?' but rather 'how would you like your tea?'
Now uttering the statement 'I love tea' is easy. But each person has their own reasoning behind their affection of the delicious cupan tae. Comfort and familiarity is oftentimes the most common reason but a simple fact has been ingrained in us by generations:
EVERYTHING is better with a cup of tea.
After all, didn't The Lord himself pause for a nice cup of tea before giving himself up for the world?!
Even the act of packing tea bags, when travelling or even just going on a quick holiday, Is a standard task for any tea lover and this typical scenario is even used in tea advertising -(Barry's tea, I'm looking at you!). Growing up this was a familiar sight when I watched puzzled as my parents packed a box of it for trips away, but sure enough, my addiction has come full circle, ensuring I now do the exact same thing. I don't doubt tea in foreign countries is delicious but quite simply, it's just not as nice!
Along with how you take your tea (mine's milk and one sugar if you're offering!), the critical question may be asked: Barry's or Lyons? This tends to open a proverbial can of worms as each addict has a preference and will fiercely defend and stay loyal to their cause to the bitter end. Many uneducated riffraff may claim there is no difference in brands but a true tea connoisseur knows better. Personally I'm a Barry's girl. Lyons, while being tasty, quite simply just isn't as delicious as my best friend Barry! While my loyalty has been tested while visiting Lyons loving households, I have always remained true to my old friend. In life and love, this will continue and while the future can be unpredictable, one fact remains:
When in doubt, get the kettle out.
Forever in the Sky
Lucy x




No comments:
Post a Comment