In the sky...

In the sky...

Friday, 2 October 2015

Flirting with October

Happy October!!!!

The most amazing, lovely, fantastic, awesome, bloody greatest month of the year is officially here!!

So in case you think I'm on some wonderful drug (or exhibiting extreme sarcasm) I'll state it now:
I LOVE OCTOBER!! I'm out and proud for my love of the 10th month of the year. The Goldilocks of seasons that I am is thoroughly oh-so satisfied with this time of year. While many are moaning about the slight dip in temperatures in the past few weeks, me and my black tights are rejoicing! My darling nylon friends have emerged from the back of my sock drawer and all is right again in Lucy Land as my bumpy bruised legs are safely covered once more. This fact alone is enough to make me deliriously happy it's October, however there are many more lovely reasons that make for a delighted me this month!

1) Leaves, Luscious Leaves!
I'm not a major nature gal but I honestly can't believe anybody who says they aren't impressed by Autumn. The golden leaves falling all around is such a beautiful sight and walks are made all the more pretty with leaves scattered on the ground. As a kid, walking to school was always a chore but Autumn made it slightly more tolerable as my route would take me past a bridge & a carpet of gorgeous golden leaves to kick up on my journey. I grew up in a small town in Cavan adjacent to a lake and two forests which looked (and still does!) friggin' spectacular at Autumn. The whole countryside changes and radiates prettiness and beauty like nowhere else I have ever been. Saying that, in 3 weeks my opinion may change slightly because...

2)  I'm in an Autumn State of Mind!
Huh? I hear you say! Apologies for my awful Jay-Z pun but I'm off on my hols to NYC this month and I'm a little bit giddy! A dear darling Bestie of mine upped sticks and swanned off to the Big Apple last year to start her dream career so it wasn't long before a trip over to visit her was planned. October was decided as the month to visit as it suited everyone involved and while I remained casually calm during the decision, inside I was doing somersaulting cartwheels while squealing with happiness because Autumn in New York (the season not the sad Winona Ryder/Richard Gere sobfest!) was a lifelong fantasy.
Seeing my lovely Bestie? Yes please!
Best coffee in the world? Ah go on so!
Awesome shopping? Shur, It'd be rude not to!
Walks in a golden leafy delicious looking Central Park? Hell-to-the-frickin' YEAH!!!

(The first (and only time) I went to NYC five years ago in March it rained non stop the whole time hampering any sightseeing so anybody that wants to send some positive vibes my way in 3 weeks please feel free & I'll be eternally grateful x)

3) Holla Halloween!!!
I'm not fully sure where my obsession with Halloween began. While many people favour Christmas to be the most magical time of year; without a doubt for me it's Halloween. Vivid memories of trick-or-treating in dodgy black refuse sacks and homemade monster masks spring to mind when I reminisce about my first experiences of this time of year. Hocus Pocus was (and still is!) compulsive viewing in my house growing up and nothing was more exciting as choosing a costume. An adolescence and college background in Theatre only fuelled my Halloween obsession as my theatrical side seems to see the chance to shine every year at this time.

Planning is crucial as Neurotic Lucy takes over! (Seriously she's nuts! Last year on August Bank Holiday weekend, while BBQ's were happening, she was on Google and Ebay researching Halloween costumes!) To add petrol to an already big fire, my hometown in Cavan has a Pumpkin Festival every year (Click here for more info!) An entire weekend of all things Halloween and Ireland's biggest fancy dress party - pretty much like heroin for a Halloween addict like me!! Attendance has been mandatory for me every year since it began however this year I had the ultimate dilemma: Pumpkin Festival or NYC! Like the movie 'Sophie's Choice' (Google it!), the decision was an extremely tough one fraught with confusion and anxiety. NYC won in the end but my heart will truly be in Cavan on October Bank Holiday weekend. *Sniff*


These are only the top 3 things I love about October and a follow up post is in the works with my other Autumn loves! Anything major I've missed? Comment below as I'd love to hear from fellow October obsessives!

Forever in the Sky,

Lucy x

No comments:

Post a Comment