Last week, my IPhone got sick. The result of using a cheap Penney's charger caused my battery to explode (Yep - I said explode - never a good thing!) The internal components swelled and the front of my phone started to come apart!
Turns out paying €4 for a charger wasn't quite the bargain I had thought it was when I had to pay to get the whole thing repaired and seen how lucky I was not to have been injured by it.
So off my darling Betty (my phone's name) went to the iPhone hospital while I sat like a worried mammy waiting to hear about how her little reconstructive surgery went. I had always been quite lucky with phones and never had a many a problem with them but that afternoon, I began reminiscing about my first experience as an IMammy and I dug out my harrowing account (written a year ago) of how I felt at the time...
'There is a saying that echoes in my mind today. 'Never underestimate the pain of a person, because in all honesty, everyone is struggling with something. Some people are just better at hiding it than others'. There's no denying this is a pretty profound and truthful statement. A simple fact of life is everybody has problems, both big and small, and dealing with these issues can demand strength, courage and determination. My own was tested beyond my imagination recently when I woke up last Thursday morning to make a horrifying discovery that would shake me to my very core. My iPhone was dead.
To say I had a heart attack would be a gross exaggeration. To say I had a panic attack would have been probably more accurate. I ran like a mad women to locate my charger to shock my phone into life again, but it was no use. The blank screen stared back at my confused panicked expression, taunting me.
'What will you do without me?', I could hear it smirk at me.
To say I had a heart attack would be a gross exaggeration. To say I had a panic attack would have been probably more accurate. I ran like a mad women to locate my charger to shock my phone into life again, but it was no use. The blank screen stared back at my confused panicked expression, taunting me.
'What will you do without me?', I could hear it smirk at me.
And more annoyingly it was true. I was officially lost.
In all honesty, if this had happened six months previously, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. But that was probably because six months ago I was a functioning human being. I led a simple, happy life with my old Nokia phone which was a healthy 3years old and had, wait for it, actual buttons! Yep no swiping screens and double tapping for me! I thought Viber was a sex toy and WhatsApp was a type of spot cream. Facebook was my only weakness and that was accessed solely through my laptop.
My phone (affectionately known as 'The Brick') had survived holidays, festivals and countless nights out. Okay it was ugly as feck and truthfully nobody in their right mind would want to rob it but it's strength was undeniable - seriously, a car could roll over it and It would have been grand. As a girl who had an acute shopping problem and rent to pay, it did the job.
Of course one by one my friends began acquiring iPhones. It wasn't until last year that I had come to the conclusion that I just didn't understand what the hype was about. I mean yeah, they could do a few things but they're hardly that great! I had also observed a pattern amongst iPhone users. This was when an iPhone was produced during a conversation, said conversation would die almost immediately. This was frustrating in a one on one situation but in a group scenario it was beyond annoying. It was around that time that I decided that while I was a dinosaur, it was better than being an iPhone robot.
Now, in all honesty, I used a different word at the time to describe this generation of phone addicts (it rhymes with 'tanker'!) but in order not to offend, I'll stick to robot!
In all honesty, if this had happened six months previously, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. But that was probably because six months ago I was a functioning human being. I led a simple, happy life with my old Nokia phone which was a healthy 3years old and had, wait for it, actual buttons! Yep no swiping screens and double tapping for me! I thought Viber was a sex toy and WhatsApp was a type of spot cream. Facebook was my only weakness and that was accessed solely through my laptop.
My phone (affectionately known as 'The Brick') had survived holidays, festivals and countless nights out. Okay it was ugly as feck and truthfully nobody in their right mind would want to rob it but it's strength was undeniable - seriously, a car could roll over it and It would have been grand. As a girl who had an acute shopping problem and rent to pay, it did the job.
Of course one by one my friends began acquiring iPhones. It wasn't until last year that I had come to the conclusion that I just didn't understand what the hype was about. I mean yeah, they could do a few things but they're hardly that great! I had also observed a pattern amongst iPhone users. This was when an iPhone was produced during a conversation, said conversation would die almost immediately. This was frustrating in a one on one situation but in a group scenario it was beyond annoying. It was around that time that I decided that while I was a dinosaur, it was better than being an iPhone robot.
Now, in all honesty, I used a different word at the time to describe this generation of phone addicts (it rhymes with 'tanker'!) but in order not to offend, I'll stick to robot!
How I ended up becoming a robot myself was a fairly simple road of a pretty generous donation from a kind soul to a girl who obviously needed to be brought into touch with the modern world. At first I was reluctant, afraid of being a hypocrite after years of moaning to my friends about them being robots but there's no denying, only an eejit it would have said no.
You can probably guess what happened but to summarise it: I became a robot. My daily schedule, emails, Facebook, and life revolved around this little gadget.
Six-month-ago-Lucy would have been frankly appalled to see me last week as I ran around looking for help for my unconscious phone but there was no hiding that I had become a total 'Tanker/Robot'.
The true realisation of my new status was crystal clear when two hours later, after a stressful bus journey, the girl in my local phone shop resuscitated my phone.
And I hugged her'.
Yes I actually hugged the girl, like a mother would thank a doctor that cured her sick child. It was official.
I am Lucy and I am basically an iPhone's bitch.
Anybody who knows any local support groups please, please get in contact. Until then if you need me, I'll be on Instagram...
Forever in the Sky,
Lucy x
(Oh and thanks to the lovely peeps in FixMyi in Tullamore for helping a very anxious Lucy with a rather swollen looking IPhone last week!)




No comments:
Post a Comment