In the sky...

In the sky...

Sunday, 9 August 2015

High Heels, No Chance!

Jimmy. Christian, Kurt. Manolo; They're all a sound bunch of lads I'm sure but unfortunately my appreciation ends there.

Girly milestones are part of growing up. They can be big or little things that start you on a path to becoming who you are. As a kid, I was a bit of a tomboy and when it came to those awkward early teenage years, I looked to my big sister, TV and magazines for guidance. 

One thing I learned early in my fashion education was the importance of high heels.
via pinterest
Junior disco's back in the day never really required towering heels so it wasn't until I was 17 that I felt the requirement to wear them on a night out. Not because I really wanted to, but because that's what I thought was expected of me and like any teenager; I duly followed. 

Slipping on a pair of black heels stolen from my sister's wardrobe was the ultimate feeling of being grown up and it felt amazing. 
Approximately 5 seconds after that, reality set in: I couldn't walk 10 steps in the bloody things.

At that very moment, my legendary stubbornness kicked in. I would not be defeated by a pair of shoes! Surely it'd only take practice?! Everybody is crap at things when they first start out but eventually they master it and goddammit I was going to be no exception!!

But no matter how stubborn and determined I was, I just couldn't get the hang of heels. My balance is pretty shite as it is (little fact: wonky ears can often mean wonky legs!), 3 years passed in a haze of stumbling like a little drunk Bambi on nights out with friends before my high heel destiny was changed forever. I broke my foot on an unfortunate (but sadly normal) Friday 13th.
Anybody who breaks a bone knows that once it has been broken - it rarely ever feels the same again, even with the proper rehabilitation. I had never broken a bone before so when I was told I wouldn't need any physio afterwards I was delighted! Turns out, physio would have probably helped get me back on track in my high heels mission. To this day, my left foot is less flexible than my right on and I pretty much can't wiggle the toes on that foot. 

Add bogus balance to a wonky foot and the dream of heels evaporated pretty quickly!

I felt fairly frustrated for a long time after that because as a gal who likes fashion and clothes, heels are perceived as the finishing touch of glamour to most outfits. But then something kinda miraculous happened:
I simply stopped giving a shit about it.

What happened that caused this epiphany? It was watching my friends. Turns out that even if you have the natural balance and ability to walk in heels, it's still really frickin' painful to most ladies. I would see my friends all totter out on a Saturday night only to search for a seat in the pub and switch to flats once the nightclub was reached. While I sympathised with them, this ritual completely confused me. Surely it would just be easier to wear pretty flats out from the beginning of the night to save all the hassle (including lugging around your heels in your massive handbag)? 
Maybe it's lifelong jealousy or maybe it's the realisation that, at 29, I've gotten old enough and wise enough to focus on more important stuff.

And even though me & heels just aren't meant to be, thanks to fashion trends and designer gods above:
via Tradesy.com

I can still dream! *sigh*


Forever in the Sky (and in flats!),

Lucy x









No comments:

Post a Comment