In the sky...

In the sky...

Sunday, 16 August 2015

My 'Ewww' Dictionary

I was always under the impression that hate is a strong word. Hating something is an idea that's thrown around a lot by people in a not to serious way -
  • I hate Mondays
  • I hate the rain
  • I hate the singing chef in the Vodafone ad on TV
The truth is (with the possible exception of the Vodafone advert!), I don't hate anything - I just really really dislike some things. 

A research group recently compiled a list of words that women hate. This list had particular interest for me simply because I write and read a lot so I was curious to see what the results would be. The list consisted of 6 words that were the most despised by the fairer sex:
  1. Moist
  2. Squirt
  3. Panties
  4. Chunky
  5. Curd
  6. Flap
'Moist' seems to a constant chart topper for these types of polls. It won unanimously with 77% of ladies voting it the most hateful word in the English dictionary. 

via thegloss.com

Now, don't get me wrong here, some of these words are horrible to hear and ignite gross images; but I think likes and dislikes are a pretty personal thing.

For example, I deeply dislike the word 'Crisp'.

I can already imagine confused looks on faces as this is being read, so let me explain further.
I actually love crisps as a food. Tayto, Walkers, Pringles - I love 'em all. However the word 'crisp' used to describe something, sends shivers down my spine.

'A crisp Autumn's Day'
'A crisp white shirt'
'Burnt to a crisp'

 Now, honestly I would love to attribute a valid reasoning to this but I have no idea where my aversion to this word started. I didn't even realise I had a problem with it until a few years ago when I began to encounter it more and more online. Each time, without fail, I found myself frowning. I can't explain it at all!

'Fab!' is another word that can get on my nerves. On the outside, there's nothing to be annoyed about with this word at all. It's a positive and uplifting three little letters abbreviated from the word 'Fabulous' and it's used to describe something pleasing to the eye. I'm aware that by blasting this cheery little word, I run the risk of being labelled a cranky cow but, in my opinion, 'Fab' is an extremely overused word nowadays so much so that it's lost it's uniqueness. While well intended, reading 'it's fab!' and 'looks fab!' comments online always seems to conjure an unfortunate image in my mind, similar to this:



And lastly, amongst curse words, there are many people get offended by. The whole idea of a curse word is to be offensive or shocking but in the modern world, a lot of people have become desensitised to them. I'm one of these people. Curse words don't really bother me too much when they are used in banter and without malice. Irish comedy is known for this style of language with 'feck' thrown into routines regularly (or in every single bloody sentence Mrs. Brown) and it's a common occurrence in casual conversations in our little country. 
While I say, I'm relaxed about curse words - there is one that I'm deeply uncomfortable reading let alone saying. 

'The C word' 
Charlotte from Sex and the City had pretty much the same approach to these four little letters as I do.

via cosmopolitan.com

I never know how to respond when somebody uses this word in a conversation. No matter the content or humour intended in its use; the result is always the same for me. I just tend to not say anything in response while looking (and feeling) a bit awkward. In a free adult world, I don't like to judge anybody who does use it because everybody has a different view of things (which is an awesome thing!) It just happens that something inn my brain won't let me use this word. I feel silly at times but, when I absolutely have to use it, all I can manage to refer to it as 'See u next Tuesday'. Completely juvenile and silly but it's the only way I feel comfortable using it.

I'm sure everybody has different additions to their own list of words and I hope I haven't caused offense to anyone in the words I've chosen to add to mine and the reasoning behind each one.
What would yours be?


Forever in the Sky,

Lucy 



No comments:

Post a Comment