In the sky...

In the sky...

Friday, 11 September 2015

Bag Lady: Everything but the kitchen sink...

A bit of mystery is always good, isn't it? Knowing everything can be satisfying for a little while but it can get very boring very quickly. Us ladies are the finest example of a mystery. No one really understands us, least of all the men in our lives. To them, our air of mystery is all consuming but at times; we come across as just plain weird.

There's nothing more mysterious than a girls handbag. Each one of us uses one and yet each one is completely individual to the user. But the general rule? It holds absolute essentials...and also a whole lotta crap.

Many more sophisticated ladies would claim that they're handbags contained 'simple essentials' that they need along with an image that looks something like this:

via Pinterest



These ladies both amaze me and baffle me on equal levels for one pretty major reason.
In fact, the look of amusement on my boyfriend's face says it all when he watches me rummage for something in my handbag. It usually looks something like this:

via wow24/7.com

Except, while Mary P. looks poised and assertive, Lucy A. just looks flustered and pissed off. Surely it'd be easier to carry less in my handbag? An altogether easy solution apart from a little, minor, tiny reason.
I NEED ALL THIS CRAP!!

To state my case, I took drastic steps and emptied my handbag onto the floor and began inspection for my defence case.


The vessel of choice? A grey & white small holdall bag from Penneys that was purchased in haste after looking at the shabby state of my old handbag. The contents (starting clockwise): 

  • Umbrella - I live in Ireland. I think that alone states my case right there.
  • Hand cream & old nail file - I'm currently going through a bit of a hand cream addiction. I love the stuff and to deny me my fix would make for a cranky Lucy.
  • Keys - Because I'm bad at breaking and entering.
  • Sunglasses - (see point no. 1 - our weather is nuts)
  • Gum/Water/Random Sample of Moisturiser - Fresh breath/To live/Because it was free in the post.
  • Pen/Mini Toothbrush/Lip balms - Form filling emergencies/Nights away/Soft lips
  • Plasters/Painkillers/Medication - In case of hangovers/emergency.
  • Foldable Hairbrush - To look (somewhat) presentable.
  • Wallet - Full of old receipts & cards rather than actual money :(
  • Old Gift Voucher/Theatre Pamphlet/Dunnes Stores Receipt - I've been meaning to use/Making plans for Culture Night/Phone TopUp
  • Wad of Tissues - For smudged glasses/when my eyes leak.

To be honest, upon looking at this, I actually think this is the tidiest my handbag has been in the last while. Usually there's also an Ipad, cereal bar wrappers and a rolled up canvas shopping bag amongst the debris. As I examined each item, I asked myself 'do I really need this?'. The answer was a rather big 'Nope!' for many things.

Could I evict some of them from my handbag? Absolutely. 
Do I want to? Not really. 

This clutter wrecks my head but if one of these core items were removed, I'd probably get more vexed at missing my comforts. So I'm back to square one.

My solution to my frustration? Simple.

New season, New (bigger) Bag! 

Forever in the Sky,

Lucy x



1 comment:

  1. My handbag is full of receipts and no money, I know that feeling so well! I live for days where I find money wrapped into old receipts.

    Those days are sooo rare. :'(
    But when they happen they're amazing. <3

    owlsandantlers.org || facebook

    ReplyDelete