'Bad habits are the hardest to break'When I think of habits, more often than not, it's bad ones that spring to mind. Making it to my twenties means along the way I've lost childhood ones and gained adult ones. In my little world shopping and excessive tea consumption reign supreme along with drinking and social smoking - an activity that I know is both gross and pointless.
Giving up habits is seriously tough - especially if you enjoy them or find them comforting. I'm currently trying to break one habit I've had my entire life. I'm a nail biter.
Being a nail biter growing up never really bothered me - only biting them when I was anxious and nervous. But as I reminisce, I think my childhood must have fraught with anxiety because I don't have a single memory of ever having long nice looking nails but at the time I honestly never felt too bothered by it.
Cut to 2015 and nail art is a big trend the past few years. Now getting 'yo' nails did' is seen as a necessity along with getting your roots done. Years of trying to break my biting habit led to a recent discovery. Where everything else failed, manicures prevailed. Turns out, for some reason, when my nails look pretty and polished - I automatically stop biting them. Yep, I'm a weird one and it only took 29 years to discover this!
Today was my newly regular trip to my local nail bar in Tullamore (Siobhan's Nail & Beauty) for a glossy coat for my ravaged nails. A baby pink Gelish was applied expertly by the lovely Siobhan and took a mere 15 minutes for polish that would last three weeks! That's 3 whole weeks of decent lookin' nails baby! A nail biters dream! Delighted with my new talons, I skipped out the door forgetting the moment my inexperience showed completely as I awkwardly retrieved my wallet from my bag trying not to smudge them. (Yes, I'm aware this is unnecessary as Gelish dries instantly but I'm still a total rookie after 29 years of shelter from the experience of a manicure!)
Who knows? Maybe one day I won't need to fork out in order to fight my habit and will power will be enough. Until then, the next few months will consist of many things for me, however most likely, talking with my new pretty fabulous looking hands will be a predominant feature.
Apologies in advance!
Forever in the sky
Lucy x

No comments:
Post a Comment