In the sky...

In the sky...

Thursday, 4 June 2015

A little introduction!

Getting to know somebody is normally a combination of nerves and excitement. After the initial introduction, there's always the limbo time where you learn about the other person and what they're like. It's usually then you decide if you want this person in your life on a regular basis. To me, this pretty much sounds like a typical first date of a friendship or relationship and blogging is exactly the same I think.

I introduced myself  to you a month ago and while I've been posting various tidbits ever since but I think establishing a connection with any readers of my blog is going to be pretty difficult when you don't know a thing about me!

So I decided to compile a few fun facts about lil' old me...


1) My name's not Lucy
She's not my imaginary friend in case you're wondering! Louise is my birth name but I somehow picked up the nickname Lucy as a teenager and now it's all I'm known as to my friends and family. The only time I get called 'Louise' by them is when I'm in trouble with them!


2) Cavan 4eva!
I'm Cavan born and bred and up until recently, I had lived there all my life (28 years!). Last January, I relocated to Tullamore, Co. Offaly to move in together with my other half. Big adjustment and so far we haven't killed each other but I'll always be a Cavan gal at heart (simply for my accent!)

3) "I shop therefore I am"
When Carrie Bradshaw said 'Shopping is my cardio', I completely agreed. For me, retail therapy is my actual therapy. Anytime I feel overwhelmed or go through tough times - I go shopping. I can't explain the satisfaction I get from it but it calms me like nothing else (even tea!) I'm currently on a spending ban as I'm trying to save yoyo's for a reunion with my bestie in NYC in October so it's Penneys and the occasional Oxfam visit that's keeping me sane at the moment!

4) Accident-ly in A&E
There's a running joke amongst my friends that I should not leave the house on any Friday 13th. I've been a clumsy disaster my whole life. Bumps and bruises are pretty regular for me but the fact that a car crossed my foot 6 years ago on Friday 13th and left me with a broken foot, is a source of laughs for anybody who knows me!

5) Pesto on anything & I'm happy
I have pretty basic cooking skills. My Home Ec. teacher was visibly shocked when I told her I had passed my Leaving Cert exam and to this day I don't know how it happened. I lived on toast and super noodles in college. I'm a little better now but no expert! If I'm eating anywhere and there's pesto on the menu I order it - I'm addicted to the stuff!

6) Just call me Baby
I'm the youngest in my family. After they completed their goal of making the most perfect child, my parents stopped once I was born! I've an older sister who, after trying to murder me on several occasions growing up, is now my best friend and caretaker of my head for listening to my problems (and doing my hair as my hairdresser!)

7) Drama, Drama, Drama
A bit of drama always makes life a little interesting but a little theatre makes it amazing! After I did my Leaving Cert (11 years ago!), I studied theatre in college and taught drama to kids. I loved every minute of it and I think nothing beats the thrill of doing something you love but unfortunately my circumstances changed when I was 25 and I had to take a step back from the theatre world and start again because...


8) I'm (newly) Deaf
I know it's a pretty big thing to leave last on my list but I figured it's good to leave the juicier bits until last isn't it?! I also struggled for awhile to even say those words out loud to people. It's not really something you can hide if you're interacting with the outside world on a daily basis but since I only lost my hearing less than 4 years ago, I'm still adjusting - not living in a hearing world but not comfortable in a deaf world - I'm in limbo a bit but I'm slowly trying to find my place between both worlds. I lost a lot in the changeover but I gained a lot too including finding my love for writing so for that and the awesome people in my life, I'm forever grateful.

(Oh and in case you were wondering, upon hearing my diagnosis, I did the only thing I knew would  help me: I cleared out my bank account and went shopping!)

9) Oh & I hate a Pity Party...
They're not much craic at all and frankly we all have better things to be doing don't we?! Everyone's got 99 problems & hearing just happens to be one of mine along with shopping, being stubborn, drinking tea, overthinking, clumsiness, procrastination.....oh and an odjious pesto addiction.


Forever in the Sky,
Lucy x

2 comments:

  1. You sounds like absolute great craic! :) a lovely post, and I agree about the pesto. I have this snack a few times a week with like half a chopped up cucumber and a spoonful of red pesto or just sun dried tomato paste, and it is so, so gorgeous.
    Take care :) x

    http://misslucas93.blogspot.ie/ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Mary! ooh cucumber? never tried that combo but its now on my list!! I love green pesto on toast! it's so good! I'm sure anyone trying to kill me will now know putting poison in some pesto is a sure bet!! :P xxx

      Delete