A dull Saturday morning, There I was in my kitchen making a fry up when I felt a 'pop!' sound on my face. My tummy was rumbling so I paid little heed to it until a matter of minutes later when my glasses came apart and fell from my face. A pretty strange thing to happen even with my unlucky history! Inspecting the remunants, showed the frame had cracked completely and was beyond repair. Pretty random and pretty fuppin' annoying!!
I've worn glasses since I was 10 years old and wear then pretty much all the time as without them everything's pretty much a blur! On occasion, over the years, I've chosen to go glasses free for social events because I got it into my head that I looked better without them. It didn't take long to admit defeat in this and realise the dazed and squinting look I was sporting during this time looked worse than any pair of specs would!
Anyone who wears glasses on a regular basis knows the vital importance of choosing a frame. 'Just go into an opticians and pick a frame - easy peasy!!' is the attitude of many but these people are usually non glasses wearing folk! The fact is glasses are bloody expensive and you will probably have to wear them every day. While many could disagree - my experience is that your glasses can define you and make or break your appearance at times. Not to mention they can affect outfit choices and make up looks so choosing your new specs can be a serious decision.
Once this task is done, you'd think it'd be plain sailing wouldn't you? But the life of glasses wearer is a constant battle!
Smudge 'n' Smear
From the moment you put on your glasses for the very first time, the lenses will never be as clean. Ever. Daily life will ensure that they are smudged forever. That anti glare/protective coating you got on them? Great idea in theory but not so great in practice as no matter how much you try to polish them - they will remain foggy and forever annoying!
The weather is your enemy!
While there are officially 4 seasons in a calendar year - in Ireland there's usually two!
Winter: Fogged up lenses as you enter any buildings with a heat source and will leave you red faced as you stumble through the door. Rain has a similar affect with added 'drowned rat' appearance!
Summer: On the off chance the sun finds its way to our shores, if you happen to wear glasses, you have 2 choices. Squint through your regular sunglasses or invest a small fortune in a prescription pair which you will get little use of for a couple of months at the most.'OMG You're blind!!!'
For some reason, non glasses wearers find glasses fascinating. Honestly they can't keep their hands off them! Even if they are residing on your face. If they aren't grabbed off your face, then the question is asked: 'Can I try on your glasses?!' The next step is usually a jokey comment about you're lens strength and how 'totally blind!' you are as if wearing glasses is such a crazy rare thing.
Newsflash: it's not and this is an annoyingly regular occurrence. Just for the fact alone that it means you'll have to clean your glasses for the 84th time that day after they're handed back to you.
My history with glasses has always been a love/hate affair. Would I not just get lazer eye surgery?! (I can hear ye all thinking this!) but a combination of ommetaphobia (that's an odjious fear of eye damage - seriously it freaks me out!) and lack of eligibility means the the future looks smudged for me!
Forever in the Sky,
Lucy x
(Ignore the crazy hair/pose but here's an absolutely delighted non blurry Lucy after she collected her new glasses last week!)


No comments:
Post a Comment