In the sky...

In the sky...

Sunday, 19 July 2015

My BFF Ms. Hobbs

Oh Carrie! So quirky! So funny! So lovable!
It's been over 10 years since she strutted her stuff in Manolo Blahnicks on our T.V. screens and the women of the world fell in love. A teenage Lucy was amongst the legion of Carrie fans and to put it simply; I wanted to be her. Or at least be her BFF. When the T.V. series ended, I was pretty brokenhearted. But then an announcement of a film came! Delighted and giddy are two words that mildly describe how I felt upon hearing this news and in preparation for the movie's release, a now adult Lucy unearthed her SATC boxset and cleared her weekend.
By that Monday I discovered many things (like Mr. Big's name was John?!) including:

1) I could consume a ridiculous amount of Galaxy chocolate
2) I needed to go shopping IMMEDIATELY
3) And I had to break up with Carrie.

Back in the day, it's fair to say every viewer had their favourite character. Charlotte was sweet and pretty, Samantha was strong and sexy and Miranda was straight talking and ballsy. But Carrie was the leader and was funny, intelligent and stylish so her character was always the most popular when the choice was made. Teenage Lucy agreed wholeheartedly. But now, Grown Up Lucy has a new BFF - Miranda.

In my opinion, Miranda always got a raw deal.  From the start of the first series, it was clear that Carrie was the Queen. Samantha and Charlotte were next in line as the Princesses and Miranda was the outsider. She wasn't as classically pretty as the others, a bit awkward and not overly stylish. Teenage Lucy definitely didn't rate her much. But upon my re-watching of the show in adulthood, I learned quickly that my BFF Carrie was stylish and funny; she was also a good bit whiny and pretty annoying (I started to realise this when she repeated the line 'I couldn't help but wonder...' for the 50th fuppin' time)

On the other end, there was Miranda. I always thought she was a bit 'blah'. Grand. But not as sexy as Samantha, beautiful as Charlotte and stylish as Carrie.

Adult Lucy discovered that actually Miranda Hobbs is a total legend!


She's honest
She can seem be harsh but her honesty comes from a good place.

She has insecure moments
Everyone feels insecure at times and Miranda is no exception which makes her truly likeable and endearing.

She's unapologetic
She is who she is, likes what she likes and doesn't apologise for it.

She knows what's important
Example: Wifi and phone battery are very important but so is her marriage and she sacrifices her comforts for that.

She's does things HER way
She does things her own way. Her pregnancy (KFC at the baby shower) and wedding (Dark maroon dress in a community garden) are where she shines and each are uniquely and completely Miranda.


Frankly, it's frustrating that such an awesome character gets ignored in the way Miranda does. To be honest if I hadn't of re-watched the series from an older prospective, I probably wouldn't have made the realisation of the pure brilliance of Ms. Miranda Hobbs. And just for that fact, makes me eternally thankful to the odjiously awful films that followed!

Forever in the Sky,

Lucy x






No comments:

Post a Comment