Eh I bloody wish!
Yes I happen to be deaf but most people are a bit surprised when I tell them that I haven't experienced silence in the past 4 years since I lost my hearing. While it varies in rhythm and volume, the sound I hear 24/7 is pretty much this:
How lucky am I right?!
The technical name is Tinnitus and it tends to come as an 'Oh So Super Special Free Prize!!' when you experience hearing loss. There are plenty of causes (click here) and no case is similar but no known full cure is available.Pain. In. The. Arse.
But the mind is a funny auld thing.
When I first started experiencing buzzing, I honestly felt like I was going to go mad. Monotonous noise every waking minute is not the fun time you'd imagine and when that's all you hear - it's easy to want to rip your ears off!
But the brain is a funny thing.
Unfortunately I'm not sure if Keanu is right but after a while of non stop static, your imagination can take over. The different rhythms of my tinnitus began to make patterns in my mind and the result was a bit surprising for me. The fact that I had hearing for 25 years has meant that while I've no idea what Ed Sheeran sounds like (A new friend who is an Ed worshipper couldn't believe this when I told her!), I loved music. Snow Patrol, (early) The Script & Adele along with The Cure, Bon Jovi and Gwen Stefani were some of my favourites and hold awesome memories for me especially when their music pops into my head. This is usually a rare occurence but whenever it happens, it always puts me in a good mood. Most of the time I have a tune in my head but it's dictated between the day's tinnitus rhythms and my imagination.
This is uncontrollable and unfortunately any tune can pop into my head based on the days rhythms. This tune is played on repeat throughout the day and can quickly lose its novelty. Example: On a recent night out to Longford Summer Festival with friends, while the craic was mighty, no amount of alcohol could get this tune out of my head:
Catchy, ain't it?!!
Unfortunately today's tune didn't have as 'interesting' music video to go with it but the feeling of wanting to shoot myself is significantly less as it plays on a seemingly endless loop since I woke up which makes it an altogether pleasant Monday in Lucyland (despite the drizzle!)
Forever in the Sky,
Lucy x

No comments:
Post a Comment